SPFL Reserve League: Five-star Killie thrash Pars

SPFL Reserve League: Five-star Killie thrash Pars

in Match Reports September 3, 2018

Kilmarnock Reserves put on a five-star display as they thrashed Dunfermline's second string 5-1 at Rugby Park.

Rory McKenzie stepped up his return from injury as Andy Millen named a strong side including Dom Thomas, Greg Kiltie, Calum Waters and Ross Millen.

Dunfermline's team featured a few familiar faces including ex Killie performers Robbie Muirhead and Kallum Higginbotham.

Higginbotham thought he had given the visitors the lead but his goal was ruled out for a foul for a push inside the six yard box.


Andy Ryan also had the ball in the net but he was penalised for high feet with Dom Thomas looking like the bright creative spark for the home side.

The deadlock was broken on the half hour mark and in some style too as a set play was cleared to the edge of the box before Will Graham showed excellent technique to volley the ball past the helpless Cammy Gill.

Killie grew in confidence and it was no surprise when we doubled our advantage. Thomas powered through the Dunfermline midfield before timing his pass perfectly for Greg Kiltie. Killie's number 10 dinked the ball across goal to take the goalkeeper out of play and Innes Cameron volleyed home to cap a fine team move.

Thomas was proving to be a constant menace for the Pars defence with Malaury Martin, on loan from Hearts, booked for a crude tackle from behind on the Killie winger just seconds before the break. And Thomas provided the perfect reply with a well-struck free kick which found the corner via the aid of a deflection as Killie went into the interval with a 3-0 lead.

It appeared as though Stevie Crawford had plenty to say to his men at the break as the Pars reappeared with renewed purpose at the start of the second period.

Ross Millen pushed Andy Ryan to hand Dunfermline a penalty but Devlin Mackay stood tall before diving low to his left to stop Kallum Higginbotham from getting on the scoresheet. It was only to be a temporary reprieve as Ryan did find the net with a fine header just moments later.

Our three-goal advantage was soon restored though as Olly McDonald was on target. The midfielder saw his initial effort saved by Gill but he followed up quickly to fire the ball in at the near post.

Andy Ryan was sent off by referee Calum Scott for what appeared to be dissent towards the official. 

And Greg Kiltie got the goal his display deserved after another good Thomas run found Rory McKenzie and he played in our number 10, who fashioned space to beat Gill at his near post to cap an impressive display from the boys in blue and white.

Kilmarnock: Mackay; Millen, Barlow (Barr), Higgins, Waters; Graham, McKenzie, McDonald (Paterson), Thomas, Kiltie, Cameron.