Kilmarnock 0 v Partick Thistle 2

Kilmarnock 0 v Partick Thistle 2

in Match Reports May 7, 2016

Kilmarnock 0 Partick Thistle 2

Alan Cochrane @ Rugby Park

A goal in each half by the visitors put paid to any Killie hopes of avoiding a playoff against either Hibs or Falkirk, to retain Premier League status after the summer holidays. For the first 20 minutes or so, things had looked positive for Kilmarnock, but Partick gradually came to grips with the game, and as the home side became more and more anxious, the necessary victory looked less and less likely.

Miles Addison caused some early mayhem in the Thistle box from a long throw by Josh Magennis, and when the resulting corner was pulled back to Magennis, his shot whistled just wide of Scully’s left hand post. Kiltie had a shot go over, a Boyd header from a Dicker cross was comfortably saved, but Scully had a bigger test diving to his left to turn a Magennis shot round the post. Just before the half hour, Kris Boyd had a loud penalty appeal turned down when his shirt was clearly pulled, but whether Mr Dallas didn't see it, or saw something else as well, the referee just shook his head.

Against the run of play, Partick took the lead after 33 minutes when Steven Lawless was allowed to advance, and he cracked in a terrific shot which evaded the despairing dive of Jamie MacDonald. Before the break, an O’Hara free kick from the right hand side was scrambled away for a corner, and Magennis had a run and shot which went high and wide. It was starting to look like Killie weren't going to find the net.

The second half confirmed that. In the first 15 minutes, Kilmarnock tried to knock the ball about. One good move involving McKenzie, Magennis and Boyd finished with the striker shooting over, and Boyd had a free kick blocked by a defensive wall that stood firm. The cutting edge that was there last week at Hamilton deserted Killie today. Midway through the second half, a through ball eluded Miles Addison, Kris Doolan was onto it quickly to run in and beat the advancing MacDonald, low to the keeper’s right. Kilmarnock kept putting in the effort, with Boyd turning and shooting just the wrong side of Scully’s left hand post, but the day belonged to Partick.

At the end, Lee Clark thought that the team had worked hard enough, but didn't do the ugly part of the game well enough. We didn't take our chances and we lost two poor goals. The inconsistency of the team is frustrating, and tactically he had expected more, but we “dust ourselves down, we keep fighting, and we look forward to the challenge”.

Kilmarnock: MacDonald, Addison, McKenzie, Boyd, O’Hara, Slater (Higginbotham), Kiltie (Obadeyi), Balatoni, Hodson, Magennis, Dicker

Partick Thistle: Scullymm Miller, Seaborne, Welsh, Osman, Amoo (Elliot), Doolan (Nisbet), Lawless, Frans, Dumbuya, Edwards

Referee: Andrew Dallas