Falkirk 1 v Kilmarnock 0

Falkirk 1 v Kilmarnock 0

in Match Reports May 20, 2016

Falkirk 1 Kilmarnock 0

Alan Cochrane@ Falkirk Stadium

A goal in the 91st minute from Will Vaulks separated the teams at he end of the first leg of this Premiership decider. A short free kick from Leahy to the unmarked Sibbald caught Killie napping, he pulled it back to Vaulks, and it was thrashed into the net, giving Killie no time to retaliate. And that undid all the good work that Kilmarnock had put in before that.

Kilmarnock had the majority of the play in the first half, but seldom put the Falkirk goal in real danger. The closest chance for the visitors came after only four minutes, when Dicker put in a cross from the right which was deflected, Danny Rogers got a finger to it and pushed it on, but Kris Boyd was unable to score at the back post. Falkirk’s closest effort took half an hour to materialise, when MacDonald couldn't hold a McHugh shot, but Baird could only scoop the rebound over the bar. Killie's first half dominance, especially in the first half hour, was shown by Slater shooting wide, Kiltie having a shot blocked, and the visitors generally looking quicker and more assured as they sprayed the play about. Falkirk came into the game more in the final 15 minutes of the half, culminating when Baird tried to curl a shot inside the back post, only to see the ball drift harmlessly wide.

In the second half, Kilmarnock played better, and made more chances. An excellent Kiltie cross was just beyond Obadeyi, a cross from Tope from the other side was knocked into the side netting by a stretching defender, Boyd beat the keeper with a controlled shot only to see Sibbald head it over the bar, and then Obadeyi ran round the keeper and shot the wrong side of the near post. The chances kept coming, and Killie kept being denied. McKenzie shot over from a short corner, Rogers got to a McKenzie cross just ahead of Boyd, and then had a terrific save when Boyd must have thought he had scored with a header from a Slater cross.

And then that last gasp Falkirk winner. Lee Clark called it a woeful goal to lose at any level, whether schoolboy, junior or whatever, especially after having the best of the game for large parts of the night. “But the tie’s not over. We showed we were the dominant team, and we have to give every ounce we've got on Sunday.”

Falkirk: Rogers, Leahy, Muirhead, McCracken, Vaulks, Alston (Sheherd), Baird (Hippolyte), Sibbald, Kerr, McHugh, Watson

Kilmarnock: MacDonald, Addison, McKenzie, Boyd, O’Hara, Obadeyi, Ashcroft, Slater, Kiltie, Hodson, Dicker

Referee: John Beaton


Sandy Ferguson's match pictures.