MATCH REPORT: Inverness CT 1 - 1 Kilmarnock

MATCH REPORT: Inverness CT 1 - 1 Kilmarnock

in Club News October 22, 2016

Chris Kyle @ Tulloch Caledonian Stadium

Killie travelled the long journey up the A9 in search of another three points, after last Saturday’s victory at McDiarmid Park. Lee Clark fielded a strong lineup, with Scott Boyd replacing the injured Jonny Burn.

Souleymane Coulibaly converted an early penalty for Killie, who were minutes away from securing a valuable three points but Lonsana Doumbouya levelled late on for the hosts to ensure a share of the points.

Killie started off the match with a spring in their step after last weekend’s impressive performance and won a free kick from distance in the second minute. Luke Hendrie sent in a curling effort towards the box but Caley’s Vigurs was quickest to react and cleared. Only four minutes later and Killie were on the attack again, with Jordan Jones crossing in an inviting ball for Nathan Tyson but the forward headed just wide of the left hand post. The visitors continued to press and were awarded a penalty after Coulibaly was brought down in the box by Brad McKay. The Ivorian stepped up and converted the penalty, placing the ball low into the left hand corner to give Killie the lead.

Two minutes later and Coulibaly almost doubled the lead for Killie after getting on the end of a great Nathan Tyson delivery but the ball came off his thigh and was held by keeper Fon-Williams. Inverness created a good chance of their own shortly after, with Vigurs setting up Polworth but his effort was well held by Jamie MacDonald. Just shy of the thirty minute mark and keeper MacDonald was called into action again, this time making a great save down low to his right to deny Tansey and Caley an equaliser. With five minutes remaining of the first half, Killie created another golden opportunity to double their lead, with Jones sending a fantastic ball to Tyson but his back heeled effort whistled past the right hand post.

The second half started off very similar to the first, with Killie looking hungry for a second goal. Five minutes after the restart Nathan Tyson showed great determination to keep the ball under pressure from the Caley defence and crossed a great ball in for Coulibaly but the striker headed just over the bar. With an hour on the clock the hosts created their best chance yet, with Polworth having an ambitious effort blocked and was eventually cleared by Killie after a stramash in the box. Shortly after and Killie were awarded a free kick in a great position but Coulibaly’s effort was scooped up by Fon-Williams and cleared.

Fifteen minutes from time and Caley thought they had scored an equaliser after a great effort from Doran, only to be denied by an outstanding save by MacDonald down low to his right. Kris Boyd was introduced with ten minutes to go and almost made an immediate impact but his header from close range crashed off the crossbar. With three minutes remaining the hosts rescued a point, with Doumbouya bundling the ball into the net from six yards out, after Killie had blocked a series of Caley efforts in quick succession. With seconds to spare, Killie had the last chance to capture all three points but Rory McKenzie’s fine strike smashed off the post, which ended with referee Nick Walsh bringing the match to a close.

A respectable four points from six for Killie in the last two games, with the away fans travelling home knowing their team fought from start to finish and showed great character throughout the match. Killie will look to get back to winning ways this Wednesday evening, welcoming Hearts to Rugby Park.

MacDonald, Hendrie, Addison, S. Boyd, Taylor, McKenzie, M. Smith (S. Smith), Dicker, Jones, Tyson, Coulibaly (Boyd)

Subs (unused): Mackay, Boyle, Bojaj, Frizzell, Paterson