MATCH REPORT: Rangers 3 - 0 Kilmarnock

MATCH REPORT: Rangers 3 - 0 Kilmarnock

in Match Reports October 29, 2016


Rangers 3 Kilmarnock 0

Alan Cochrane @ Ibrox Stadium

Goals from Lee Wallace and Joe Garner each side of a penalty from Andy Halliday gave a resurgent Rangers a deserved win at Ibrox, and gave Kilmarnock a long, hard afternoon in Glasgow. From the first minute to the last, Killie were under the cosh, and although they never gave up, the final outcome was never in doubt.

Right from the start, Rangers made their intentions clear, and with less that 30 seconds gone, Joe Garner had already smashed a shot narrowly wide of Jamie MacDonald’s goal. Killie tried to respond with Jordan Jones cutting in from the left but his shot from a very narrow angle went straight across goal, missing the back post. O’Halloran was soon doing the same for the home side, and MacDonald had to act smartly to save his shot. Kilmarnock couldn't hold out though, and when Josh Windass pushed a good pass between Luke Hendrie and the central defence, the overlapping Lee Wallace ran in unopposed and gave MacDonald no chance at the near post. 

Rangers kept up the pressure, and with almost half an hour gone Scott Boyd upended Jason Holt inside the box, and Andy Halliday made no mistake from the spot. Before the interval, in one of Killie’s rare forays forward, Rory McKenzie did get a shot at goal, but it was easily saved by Wes Foderingham.

To have any chance, Kilmarnock had to get the next goal, but two minutes after the restart, they gifted Rangers a third goal. A poor defensive header landed at the edge of the box instead of being put out for a corner, the ball was quickly worked back into the goal mouth, and Joe Garner had the easiest of tasks to make it 3-0 for the home side.

Tavernier, Miller and Waghorn all had chances to make Kilmarnock’s afternoon worse, but Rangers’ intensity dropped a little, and no further damage was inflicted. for Rangers, it was a job well done, and Mark Warburton was well satisfied, but it was a disappointed Lee Clark who came to talk to the press at the end. 
“That was nothing like the last three games. It was quite similar to [the] Celtic [game]. We were very passive. Rangers got a shot at goal within 30 seconds, they got momentum, the crowd got behind them, and that made it a very difficult afternoon for us. We didn't do enough to hurt them. Perhaps the energy expended on Wednesday evening meant that in hindsight I should have brought in some fresh players, but why should you change a team that has just beaten one of the best teams in the league?”

Rangers: Foderingham, Tavernier, Hill, Kieran, Wallace, Garner (Dodoo), Miller (Waghorn), Windass (Crooks), Halliday, Holt, O’Halloran

Kilmarnock: MacDonald, Smith, Addison, McKenzie, Dicker, Jones, Tyson (K Boyd), S Boyd, Coulibaly, Taylor, Hendrie

Referee: John Beaton



Sandy Ferguson's match pictures.