SFA YOUTH CUP: Kilmarnock 3 - 2 Queen of the South (AET)

SFA YOUTH CUP: Kilmarnock 3 - 2 Queen of the South (AET)

in Club News November 30, 2016


Kilmarnock u20’s have progressed into the 5th round of the Scottish Youth Cup after a hard fought 3-2 win over Queen of The South on Wednesday.

Killie needed extra-time to defeat their opponents in what was an entertaining game at Rugby Park.

The visitors had the earliest chance on the 15th minute but Killie were thankful to goalkeeper Curtis Lyle, who pulled off a terrific reactive save onto the crossbar.

Scott McLean went close to opening the scoring for Paul Stephenson’s men on the 18th minute. A well worked Killie corner was cleared by the Queen’s defence to McLean, who hit a sweet half-volley just wide of the far post.

Killie went close again on the 28th minute when McLean played an inch perfect through pass to Jack Whittaker, whose effort just curled past the left-hand post.

The home side’s first half dominance was rewarded as they took the lead just before half-time.
Jack Whittaker sent in a low left-footed cross along the box and McLean was there to smash the ball home from six-yards out to give Killie the advantage at the break. (1-0)

HT 1-0

Queen of The South started the second half brightly and could have equalised 36 seconds into the second half. Jack Bannan broke through into the Kilmarnock box but Lyle saved well with his right foot to keep Killie in the lead.

However, the away side brought the scoreline level on the 67th minute through Connor Murray. The Queen of The South attacker had his free-kick blocked and he sweetly volleyed the rebound down to Lyle’s bottom right hand corner into the net. (1-1)

The second half proved to be a tight encounter and Queen’s nearly took the lead on the 85th minute. Goalscorer Murray hit a bending left footed effort from twenty yards out against the crossbar.

FT (1-1)


The game was sent to extra-time and Queen’s took the lead on the 92nd minute.
After a scramble in the box, the ball found fell at the feet of Owen Moxon who shifted the ball past Lewis Clark and fired home from twelve yards out. (1-2)

Killie responded and brought the score level through substitute Oliver McDonald.
McLean drove at the Queen’s back line and had his left-footed shot saved by Queen’s keeper Jack Leighfield. However, he could only parry the ball in the air and McDonald was on hand to loop a header into the empty goal. (2-2)

HT 2-2

Killie re-took the lead on the 106th minute through Innes Cameron. The striker pounced on a defensive lapse and finished superbly from a tight angle into the bottom corner. (3-2)

FT 3-2

The Development Squad’s next game is at home to St. Johnstone in the SPFL Development League on Wednesday 7th December.

Kilmarnock u20’s: Lyle; T Queen, Clark, A. Wilson, Lidington; Paterson, Dempsie, Curtis (McDonald 90+1’), Whittaker, McLean; Cameron.

SUBS: Wylie, Miller, Barr, McDonald, McLevy, J P Queen




Sandy Ferguson's match pictures: