Ladbrokes Premiership | Kilmarnock 1 - 1 Partick Thistle

Ladbrokes Premiership | Kilmarnock 1 - 1 Partick Thistle

in Match Reports March 18, 2017

Alan Cochrane @ Rugby Park

Over 4500 spectators inside Rugby Park today were treated to a full blooded mid-table scrap, with both teams trying to be above that fast approaching end of season split, and get away from any relegation or play-off worries. It didn't make for silky soccer, but it was edge of the seat stuff.

Almost all of the first half belonged to Killie. For over half an hour there was consistent pressure on the Partick defence. Longstaff had a shot go just over, Cerny did well to touch a Scott Boyd header over the bar, Kris Boyd and Connor Sammon tormented Thistle and both had efforts just off-target or well saved, but the visitors were also dangerous. Erskine had a shot go just wide, and four minutes before the break, Lawless had a terrific effort rebound off the crossbar, with Woodman beaten. The second half was just the opposite.

It was Thistle in the ascendency, and Kilmarnock with their backs to the wall. Edwards, Erskine and Keown all had chances but missed, and Barton blasted a shot which came back off the post with Woodman again well beaten. Kilmarnock were forced to keep lumping the ball forward, but mostly it simply came back at them. Jones and Sammon did have half chances, but it was no surprise when Thistle took the lead with an Erskine volley in 72 minutes, after the home defence allowed him to control the ball and turn, before rifling the ball low into the net.

That forced Killie to up the ante, and Scott Boyd headed over from a corner, while Kris Boyd had a goal-bound shot blocked. With four minutes left Killie equalised, but in a totally unexpected way. Connor Sammon hit a speculative shot from the edge of the box, but Tomas Cerny appeared to have it under control. However, it squirmed out of the keeper’s hands and trickled gently over the line to draw Killie level. It almost got worse for the visitors when Kris Boyd got the ball into the net in the 91st minute, but referee John Beaton awarded a free kick to Partick Thistle, and the points were shared.
After the game, the feelings of the two managers were very different. Alan Archibald was obviously disappointed that they had lost a late goal, but put it down to an uncharacteristic mistake by Tomas Cerny, who has been outstanding for Thistle. For Lee McCulloch, Killie had been the better side for the first 35-40 minutes, but Thistle had run most of the second half. He was pleased with the character his side had shown in getting back into the game late, and grabbing a draw. The goal may have been a bit lucky, but he believes that with hard work, you make your own luck, and that's what Kilmarnock are doing. Partick will probably feel that it was two points dropped, but he was being more positive. Four points from the last two games was a good return. When asked what he thought about Kris Boyd’s late “goal”, he said that he would have to give the standard manager’s answer. “"I would have to see it again”. He left with a smile on his face.

Kilmarnock: Woodman, Sammon, Jones (Umerah), McKenzie, Dicker, K Boyd, Longstaff (Wilson), Ajer, Taylor, S Boyd, Hendrie

Partick Thistle: Cerny, Dumbuya, Lindsay, Osman, Doolan, Erskine (Azeez), Lawless (Devine), Barton, Elliot, Keown, Edwards

Referee: John Beaton






Sandy Ferguson's match pictures.