Ladbrokes Premiership | Motherwell 2 - 0 Kilmarnock

Ladbrokes Premiership | Motherwell 2 - 0 Kilmarnock

in Match Reports September 10, 2017

Alan Cochrane @ Fir Park

After an almost event free first half, while Kilmarnock appeared content to continue in the same way after the break, Motherwell buckled down to the job and got their just reward. That meant that while the 4000 or so home support went home happy, the 600 Killie followers had to go back to Ayrshire shaking their heads.

In that first period, MacDonald had a couple of easy saves, Carson had a good stop from a Brophy shot, and Gordon Greer hit the bar with a header from a corner. Apart from that - well, there wasn't anything apart from that. Gordon Greer, who was the visitor’s best player by a country mile, couldn't come out for the second half and was replaced by Kirk Broadfoot. Later changes of Brophy and Burke by Frizzell and Jones didn't alter how things were going.

As the second half wore on, Motherwell were taking almost complete control, with Louis Moult in particular looking increasingly dangerous. MacDonald touched one of his shots over, and a controlled side-foot shot from the same player slipped just past the post. When Motherwell’s opener came however, it was from Ryan Bowman, who capitalised on a great run through the middle by substitute Gael Bigirimana. Three minutes from the end, Iain Wilson got himself a yellow card and Motherwell were awarded a penalty, which Louis Moult soundly despatched, to make the final score 2-0. It was no more than Motherwell deserved.

It was a despondent looking Lee McCulloch who faced the media at the end. “We didn't create any clear-cut opportunities. On the second half, Motherwell deserved the three points. For us, there was nothing to write home about. The penalty killed the game off.”

Motherwell: Carson, Tait, Hartley (Grimshaw), Camden, McHugh, Moult, Bowman, Rose (Bigirimana), Dunne (Hammell), Kipre, Campbell

Kilmarnock: MacDonald, O’Donnell, Smith, Greer (Broadfoot), Taylor, Thomas, Findlay, Wilson, Erwin, Brophy (Frizzell), Burke (Jones)

Referee: Bobby Madden


Match pics by Ross Mackenzie