Kilmarnock 3-2 Dundee: Ten-man Killie in seventh heaven

Kilmarnock 3-2 Dundee: Ten-man Killie in seventh heaven

in Match Reports February 13, 2018

Ten-man Kilmarnock fought to claim a dramatic 3-2 victory over Dundee to extend our unbeaten home run to seven matches.

Without injured duo Alan Power and Youssouf Mulumbu as well as the suspended Jordan Jones, Steve Clarke shuffled the pack with Eamonn Brophy returning to the starting XI with Rory McKenzie, Greg Taylor and Jamie MacDonald earning places back in the side. 

It was Brophy who gave Killie the lead after six minutes, firing the ball past Elliott Parish after Dundee had failed to clear from a corner.

Despite falling behind the visitors were playing some nice football and they drew level when Gary Dicker was judged to have handled the ball following a fine save from MacDonald.

Soufien Moussa made no mistake from the penalty spot, sending MacDonald the wrong way.

Referee Nick Walsh was not proving to be a popular figure with many of his decisions hotly contested by the home crowd.

The frustration with the official was palpable in the crowd and amongst the home coaching staff.

Steven Caulker marked his Dundee debut with a fine bullet header from a corner to put Dundee ahead ten minutes after the break. And it seemed Killie's home run may come to a halt when Dicker was given his marching orders for taking out Deacon inside the Dundee half.

Walsh's display continued to provoke a mixture of anger and disbelief from the home side as the half continued.

A man down, Killie never gave up and the introduction of substitutes Lee Erwin and Iain Wilson were to prove vital to the final outcome.

Erwin played a fantastic reverse pass to Kris Boyd, who curled a sublime finish past Parish to level the scores.

Both sides pushed heavily for a winner but when it arrived it was the Killie fans who were in dreamland.

Wilson picked up the ball in midfield and produced a glorious slalom run before finding the strength to prod the ball past the despairing Dundee goalkeeper. 

As the Rugby Park crowd went wild, the Killie players embraced and prepared for one final push with MacDonald forced into an excellent late save to preserve all three points.

The final whistle was greeted with a huge roar as the comeback was complete.

Kilmarnock: MacDonald; O'Donnell, Broadfoot, S.Boyd (I.Wilson), Findlay; Taylor, Dicker, McKenzie, Brophy (Erwin), K.Boyd (Simpson)

Att: 3,768