Kilmarnock 2-0 St Johnstone: Boyd and Erwin strike for Killie

Kilmarnock 2-0 St Johnstone: Boyd and Erwin strike for Killie

in Match Reports March 7, 2018

Killie produced a controlled display to defeat ten-man St Johnstone 2-0 at Rugby Park and move up to fifth in the Ladbrokes Premiership table.

Goals from Kris Boyd and Lee Erwin saw Killie outplay their opponents from the start in Ayrshire with Jason Kerr seeing red for Sants.

Erwin was handed a start along with Aaron Tshibola and the pair nearly combined in the first minute as Killie started on the front foot.

Jordan Jones was to prove a constant menace in Saints' side with the visiting defence unable to deal with the Northern Ireland internationals direct running at pace.

It was Jones who created the opening goal as he was brought down in the area after a lovely flick and trick with Kris Boyd stepping up to convert from the penalty spot.

Saints boss Tommy Wright was involved in a verbal altercation with Jones after the winger sustained a cut to his lip following another foul on the touchline moments later. Wright was incensed by the decision before then getting involved in a spat with supporters in the Frank Beattie Stand.

Jones used Wright's words as motivation, pouncing on a loose ball before running in on goal, only to be halted in his tracks by a reckless tackle by Kerr who was shown red by Willie Collum.

Erwin was also proving to be a nuisance in attack and when he hit the post on the stroke of half time, Aaron Tshibola rifled the ball past Mannus for what appeared to be Killie's second goal of the evening. The offside flag denied him but there was no halting the hosts in this match.

Pressing home our numerical advantage, Jones and O'Donnell provided width to keep Saints penned in their own half.

The second goal duly arrived after neat interplay down the right involving O'Donnell and Power before Erwin turned and lashed a left-footed shot past Mannus to the delight of his team-mates.

Jones came close to adding a third with another powerful run before being withdrawn with a tight hamstring.

Mannus was forced into action once again to deny O'Donnell what would have been a well-deserved goal but Killie were in constant control and cruised through the rest of the game.

Kilmarnock: MacDonald; O'Donnell, Broadfoot, Findlay, Taylor (Simpson); Power, Dicker, Tshibola; Jones (Frizzell), Boyd (Brophy), Erwin.