Motherwell 2-3 Kilmarnock: Semi-final spot for Killie

Motherwell 2-3 Kilmarnock: Semi-final spot for Killie

in Match Reports March 23, 2018

A double from Alex Samizadeh and a late free kick from Jack Paterson saw Killie beat Motherwell 3-2 to claim a place in the Scottish FA Youth Cup semi-finals.

In a dramatic match at Airdrie's Excelsior Stadium, Andy Millen's men held their nerve to overcome a Motherwell side who had two players and manager Stephen Craigan sent off.

Killie survived an early scare in the match when James Scott headed off the crossbar in the opening minute of the match.

Samizadeh was placed in attack alongside Innes Cameron and the 19-year-old made his mark by turning well in the box before firing past PJ Morrison via the post to give Killie the lead.

Jasko Keranovic was kept busy in goal, saving from David Turnbull as 'Well tried to find a way back into the match. They eventually got their reward just before the hour mark as the Killie keeper misjudged a cross as Shaun Bowers was at the back post to head home.

The match turned in the Ayrshire side's favour on 63 minutes when Samizadeh appeared to be pulled in the box much to the protest of the Motherwell players and staff. Samizadeh sent Morrison the wrong way from the penalty spot and then Barry Maguire received a second yellow card for dissent.

Motherwell battled bravely despite their numerical disadvantage and they were level when Frizzell lost the ball in midfield and Kenny Barr couldn't get the better of Jake Hastie at the back post. The forward controlled the ball well before dispatching his shot past Keranovic.

Andy Millen introduced Dan Scally and Jack Paterson into the match and both played their part in the winning goal with minutes to play.

Scally was barged in the back inside the D with his back to goal and Paterson stepped up to strike the free kick, which Morrison palmed across his own goal and into the back of the net.

'Well boss Craigan was sent to the stand after disagreeing with the referee's decision before Liam Brown was sent packing moments later.

Killie held out and they will now wait to see if they will play Celtic, Hibernian or Aberdeen in the last four.

Kilmarnock: Keranovic; Barr, Dempsie, A.Wilson, McLevy; Mouanda, Frizzell, McDonald (Scally), Graham (Paterson), Cameron, Samizadeh.