St Mirren 1-2 Kilmarnock: Comeback kings strike again

St Mirren 1-2 Kilmarnock: Comeback kings strike again

in Match Reports October 20, 2018

Killie produced yet another second-half comeback to record their fourth successive Premiership victory in a 2-1 triumph over St Mirren.

Alan Power and Aaron Tshibola were on target to cancel out Adam Hammill's opener as Steve Clarke's men celebrated three precious away points in Paisley.

Bright Enobakhare was handed his first Killie start with Jordan Jones suspended while Kirk Broadfoot returned in place of Scott Boyd at the heart of the defence.

Once again though Killie started slowly with a disputed free kick on the corner of the box giving St Mirren an opportunity to shoot at goal.

And they took their chance as Hammill whipped a fantastic delivery past the onrushing attackers and past Jamie MacDonald and into the corner of the net.

Matty Willock was impressing at the heart of the Saints midfield as Killie struggled to get a foothold in the match with Broadfoot booked for bringing down the lively Simeon Jackson.

Eamonn Brophy was unlucky as his curled effort narrowly missed the top corner but in truth Clarke's men had failed to match their own high standards.

Anton Ferdinand was forced off at the interval and now shooting towards the 1,600 strong Killie crowd, the team sensed this was their opportunity to show their true quality. Five minutes into the second period and the change in tempo and attitude was already evident as Enobakhare, Brophy and Stewart started to find space.

But it was through Alan Power that Killie found a breakthrough as the Irish midfielder produced a stunning rising strike past the helpless Craig Samson.

The tide had turned and it was little surprise when Killie went ahead with the home side claiming controversy.

Stewart lifted a ball to the back post with Aaron Tshibola rising highest to direct his header towards goal. Samson tried desperately to claw it out of the goal but linesman Douglas Ross and the Killie players were convinced and a goal was awarded.

Jackson thought he had produced an equaliser minutes later but the flag was raised for offside after Jamie MacDonald had pulled off a fine reflex save earlier in the move.

As they have done in recent weeks, Clarke's men were able to show their professionalism to see the match out and to rise even higher in the Premiership table.

Kilmarnock: MacDonald; O'Donnell, Broadfoot, Findlay, Taylor; Power, Tshibola, Burke (K.Boyd), Enobakhare, Stewart (McKenzie), Brophy (Dicker)